Rename and move pages
About moving pages
A wiki page can only be renamed by moving it.
Moving is necessary, since the web address of the page changes during renaming. Normally, there are many links to a wiki page. It is therefore important that these links still work after renaming the page.
A page can be moved with or without redirecting the original page. Let's take a closer look at the differences.
What happens when you move a page?
When you move a page:
- you rename the page name and thus the page title
- the page content is displayed on the new page
- the version history of the original page is transferred to the new page
If you move from the original page to the new page, an additional page with the old page name will be created. This page then serves as a redirect to the new page. If you do not create a redirect, the original page is simply replaced. In this case, you should check and update the links to the old page on your wiki.
The following diagram shows how to rename an "Emobile" page to a page called "Electric Vehicles" page:
How do I move a page?
Go to the page tools menu item "Manage page> Move":
- Click "Move":
2. The "Move page" dialog box opens:
3. Under New Title, select the namespace for your page and overwrite the original title:
4. Reason: Optionally provide a reason why why it was necessary to move the page.
5. Leave a redirect behind: Depending on the linking status or purpose of a page, you now have to decide whether to move the page with or without forwarding.
6. Watch source page and target page: Specify whether you want to put the source and landing pages on your watch list when redirecting.
7. Click "Move page".
Move with redirect
It makes sense to create a redirect in the following cases:
- The original page is linked to many other sites (e.g., from other websites or other internal wiki sites).
- The title of the original page is sometimes used in the search and the page should be found either way.
Move without redirect
In these cases, it makes sense to move without forwarding:
- A spelling error is corrected in the title. There are only a few links to the page and they are easy to find and replace.
- The original title should not appear in the search.
- An unnecessary redirection via a forwarding page should be avoided.
Updating references to the page
After sucessfully moving the page, you will see a confirmation page. If you did not create a redirect, it is important to check if existing links to the original page exist in your wiki. These must then be adapted accordingly to the new page name, so that the page is newly networked. Use the link on the confirmation page to go to the "Special:Replace Text" page:
If you have not completed the check immediately after moving the page, you can always go to the special page at any time. Use the Replace Text page to find pages and content that contain the text of the original title.
Enter the original page title under "Existing text" and the new page title under "New text":
Select all wiki sections using the "All" button to find existing references to the original page:
If you click on "Continue" the text will not be replaced yet. First, an overview page with the results found will be displayed. Check which of the results you want to replace and check the box. Click "Replace" to perform the replacement:
The last page now confirms that the changes have been made:
Your wiki is now correctly linked again and you have successfully moved your page.