The extension PageAssignments allows users with assignment rights to assign other users to a page.
What are page assignments?
Page assignments are a quick way of giving one or more users informal responsibility and ownership of a page. They are very similar to a watchlist. A user can add a page to their watchlist themselves, but assignments are made by other users.
Page assignments do not change the behavior of the page or grant special rights on a page. For example, the page does not get locked for editing when it is assigned to another user. It is rather a simple mechanism to have users "take a look" at a page. If the feature Read confirmation is activated for a namespace, assigned users have to confirm with a checkbox on the page that they have read the page.
- Notifications are sent to assigned users when their page assignment is changed. (This can be deactivated in the user preferences.)
- Transparency: Assigned users are listed in the QM tools panel of the page
- Assignment management: (
- Quick access from the user profile menu
- Read confirmation: page shows a read confirmation checkbox for assigned users (optional)
Assigning a page
To assign pages to other users, you need the appropriate rights. These are assigned via the roles reviewer and maintenanceadmin. Although users with read permissions can be assigned to a page, they cannot make changes to the page.
To assign a user or a group to a page:
- Click on Page assignments in the Quality management toolbar.
- Type a user or group name in the assignments text box. You will get automatic suggestions based on your entry.
- Click the Add button.
- Add more users or groups (optional).
Users with assignment rights can see a list of all pages that have assignments. This page (Special:ManagePageAssignments) can be loaded from the navigation menu under Global actions >Management > Assignment management
Secured page assignments
In the namespace manager you can configure that page assignments are secured. If a page is created in such a namespace, the page is only editable for users that are assigned to this page. This means that every new page should be created by a user with reviewer or admin rights, because only these roles have the necessary rights to make the assignment. If a page is created in this namespace by a user with edit rights, this page cannot be edited further by this user, unless he/she is assigned by a to the page.
Every user can view the pages they are assigned to by clicking on "Assignments" in their personal menu (by clicking on their image in the upper right corner).